Tuesday, January 20, 2009

2009 A New Year and more surprises

Wow, time has flown, I have not had time to write my blog but my horses are all loving life!

November 2008, we lost our herd matriach Jazz to colic.  She waited for me and told me in no uncertain terms that she was unwell as soon as she saw me.  I had come back from Equitana in Melbourne eager to get out and see them.  She was waiting under her tree, she didn't come up to me like she usually did, my intuition told me all was not well here.  She tried to come up, then turned and looked at her belly and then dropped on the ground groaning.  I ran to her, checked her and then ran inside and frantically put calls into the vet and a lovely friend of mine.  The vet for medical help for Jazz and my friend for moral support for me.  2 hours later Jazz was taken by the angels and died in my arms.  There was nothing I could do to save her.  I felt so helpless.  We buried her in her favourite resting spot with that area being fenced off forever now.  We are going to plant some maples so every autumn I will see their chestnut leaves and remember her.  Its been nearly 3 months and I still get emotional when I think about her.

The boys are becoming partners!  People who told me to get rid of them, send them to the Pal Factory are now wanting to know what I have done to change them.  My neighbours are stopping to quietly watch me as I play at liberty with Star, who offers to show me how much he values me by playing off-line like he was on-line.  There is no bigger compliment than this as far as I am concerned!

Scout and I attended a camp in Victoria with Chris Corbidge, a Parelli Natural Horsemanship instructor, and we made the biggest in-roads into building our relationship to date.  We now have an understanding and he's letting me be the leader and having faith that I am a worthy one!

We have had a new arrival in between all this.  Querida, a 2 yo Pura Raza Espanola.  She is my project, my blank canvas and my little special girl!  Well not so little as she's 15hh at 2 and won't really mature till 4 or 5 so i think she's going to get to 15.3hh possibly?  Who knows.

I am avidly learning as much as I can, reading, watching and surfing and I am collecting more savvy arrows as I go.

I hope to come back more often to fill in what's going on.  Things are changing so rapidly it would be a shame not to have something to look back on and relish our achievements!

So 2009 holds for us.  More of the same, a wonderful journey with three very special horses and carrying the memory of Jazz always very close.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So sorry to read about losing your lovely horse to colic. I lost my 'first' horse this way last January, a very similar story to yours.

We have just had rain here in Auckland (twice now so the grass is green again) - hope your heatwave has ended and you have had some rain too.

Vicki