Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Our Horses are our mirror

Well I had a BFO today.  I watched a little bit of Parelli Tellie while I ate my lunch.  This stuck in my head.  "Our horses are our mirror, as we become happier so do they.  They feel our mood and refelct where we are at."  Well I think that this is bang on the money.

My horses have become happier and I have become happier as I feel more fulfilled in my life.  No longer do I feel trapped by work and pressure that I can't control.  I am learning how to deal with stress, live in the moment and I am finally giving myself permission.  For so long I have had trouble doing this.  I can see that decisions I made regarding work, although difficult, were the best decisions I ever made.  I can see that my future is mine to shape and mould and so armed with this knowledge I am changing the way I live, look at life and react to what's happening to me.

Last night I spent 15 minutes of undemanding time with my horses.  Querida got scratches fixing all her itches to the point where my fingers were aching!  She is still sore and is symptomatic at the moment but she seems happy enough. I have to get some weight off her but even in a paddock with not much feed and her not getting anything additional other than the odd carrot she is still rotund!  She is also changing and starting her journey towards being rose grey :-(  I love her as a black bay.

Star and Scout each got itches scratched and ear massages.  I feel a very calm wave come over me when I am with Star.  He is the one I am most in tune with.  I think he is in tune with me, he sulks if I play with Scout and not him.  When I spend time only with him he gives this feeling of being very satisfied, happy and at peace.  This horse has come such a long way it's amazing that it's all happened in only 16 months or so.  I am so proud of him.

Scout is forever trying to test my leadership every morning and every night.  I still have a way to go in our partnership but so does he.  He needs to act like a partner more and I am slowly seeing this happening.  Last Sunday he stood on a stump for me after trying listlessly for 20 minutes to see if I would give up.  When he did eventually get on the stump I praised him and left him be watching him and marvelling at what he is capable of when he "wants" to try.  Someone said to me "there is nothing better than having a big solid horse to ride when you are out" I know one day that will be the case and it won't be too long away.  I want him to be that big solid horse who is safe and dependable that Bruce can ride and I will know he will be ok.

My garden is going well.  We are pumping from the bore and our water worries are somewhat gone now.  Bruce has set up a fire system run off the fire pump so we can wet the house paddock should we get a grass fire.  I can water the lawn and get it growing to reduce the dust!  Our new tank is a 1/4 full which is great and there is rain forecast for the weekend!

Oh well, back to work but I have a busy few weeks ahead and playing with the horses keeps it all in perspective.

Until next time.


No comments: