Thursday, June 26, 2008

Toys, toys toys

had to laugh. Vets are like surgeons, some know their stuff technically but when it comes to bedside manner they fail miserably. When Star booted Jazz the vet I got was ok. Jazz was fearful though so I asked the vet to just wait a sec so she could work it all out in her head. After that he actually clicked over into patient mode and spoke gently, told her everything he was going to do and quietly gave her 20mls of penicillin in the bum. She was so good, all on a loose rope and no fuss. When Star got colic he was in so much pain you could see his war face from a mile away. Different vet, no good with people....well he has issues with women but he was great with Star. I got the look from both of them as though I had given him colic on purpose. He stood and allowed the vet to do a rectal exam then drenched him with 8 litres of parrafin... then he got the pain killers (thought he should have done that first really but what do I know)?? This morning it's HOT...got up at 0730...dragged myself up really.....got a cold which sucks in summer. Went up the stables and chuffed around with the horses. Star actually asked me to get him out!! I was so shocked. I left Jazz in but not for long, I though Bruce had let her out but no.....she opened her gate herself for some quiet grazing!! Star and I played for an hour and a half and the time flew!! Not like when I was schooling and I would be looking at my watch..... We did lots of friendly, he's so scared of the string so we friendly all over with the stick and string held. When he's calmer we let the string go and let it move over his withers. He was good with that. I managed to get him happy with having the string moving to each side of him and over his head. We fixed our stops with the driving game, we did circling game and our stops were great. We did more driving game...still looks at me carefully with this one. We did sideways.....went really really well. We did squeeze game...at speed...his idea...then we got calmer and calmer...we went then and did circling game with me sitting on a bucket...that amazed him but he relaxed and went great. He was a little resistant on the yo yo till I realised I was smiling at him!!! Doh!! We finished with lots of friendly....he's asking me if he should walk through gates...a major milestone for him as his usual modus operandi was rush through the gate...it's going to get me!! I am looking at doing squeeze game over a little jump early tomorrow....Bruce is going to get me some toys!!

No comments: