Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Equine Nirvana - a partnership is blossoming!

have to say that tonight Star and I found our place together. He was so calm. Played the 7 games and he was chilled and attentive so I got my bareback pad out and we played saddling game. All good there. Saddled him up with the bareback pad indian side and then played a bit. All good. Then got on my mounting block - eek he thought she's gotten big! So we played with me on the block for a while. All calm so I asked him to come to the block so I could start to ask if it was ok to get on. After a few moments he decided that that was ok so he allowed me to lie over his back and then get off. Then he allowed me to get on. Now I am not religious but I did have a spiritual experience. We did pushing passenger all over the arena. He was fine. Chilled...almost humming along! I noticed straight away that I was stiff so worked on relaxing me and concentrated on looking forward. Then I realised that he was doing the best walk he has ever done! It was like John Wayne's walk! Fluid, smooth, huge strides not bad for a racer that didn't have a walk pace at all in Jan this year! So feeling that all was good we then practiced one rein stops. They are not his favourite but he got the gist in no time. Have done them to death on the ground...as he used to be a forward-a-holic I was leaving nothing to chance. We changed direction with the rein over his head all good. Then I started to focus on me, where i wanted to go and feeling that in me and translating that to him. I used my posture to go to places in the arena and you know what! When I was on my balance point and focused we went where i was thinking! I then practiced some moves I used to do when I was training to get my balance in my normal days. Arms up, to the side, to the front, to the back, shoulder shrugging etc. All for me as I am as stiff as a well starched shirt from being out of practice. I dis-mounted when the rope fell onto the ground. I sat back on my balance point and thought stop and we did! AWESOME!! Now I don't expect this every time but if you only knew what this horse was like when I got him 6 months ago you would know why I am getting so excited. Afterwards he sighed and then he yawned and he yawned and he yawned. I think he released a lot of pent up emotion about humans riding him. I hope he felt better about it. Seemed to, he offered me itchy spots and was very distinct about where they were. I hold my hands over his body and rest them on him and then he moves around me to show me where he is sore. This is amazing as only in Jan he was so stressed out and fearful that he wouldn't dare do that. He had issues with this feet, now using the PNH way I ask using the slightest pressure on his chestnuts and I get a foot and I get it held up for me...same with the back. I rest my hand on his hock and i get the foot and have it held up! Tonight I have marked a Star on my calendar. I am going to celebrate this day every year for it's the day Star seems to finally have accepted me as his leader! Thanks for reading my ramblings.....I enjoy releasing them into cyberspace here! Oh yes through all of this Scout waited at the gate with a face that said...why are you not playing with me! He got special attention at dinner time. A lovely brush, scratch and a promise that tomorrow is his turn! Jazz as always watched with interest and told me she loves me with a nicker as I wandered over to her. The herd is finally becoming happier...and so are the horses!!

No comments: