Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Scout arrives!

Well last night I wanted to watch more of my level 2 pack, Bruce is working late and so I get to have my feet up and watch Parelli tellie! Bruce is taking an interest as long as there is nothing better on. I am thinking about getting another television so I can watch what I want and not get huffed at! I do however spend time with him.....I might still tell him about what's been going on with the horses...he's going to suffer if he doesn't become as fascinated as I am!! LOL....no not really. Last night I was amazed.....and I had the "how interesting" thing going on. It was time to come in and Star as doing his usual, gotta get to the night paddock and get to the buckets etc...well I decided to play off line and see where that took me. Nothing demanding just some light stuff. I then played the cactching game cause when it was my idea to go get dinner it wasn't his. So I reversed the psychology. I played well I think. I got caught and walked away, he followed, then I sat down. He stopped, looked at me, two ears, two eyes as if he was asking me if I was broken! He looked shocked. Then he walked over to frisk me for carrots....didn't find any and I thought he would walk off back to the gate. Nope he stood over me......then he nuzzled me on my arm and face...then he just put his head right down near mine and looked me right in the eyes. Well I cried........ I thought if this horse that "had" such disdain for humans including me can do this then we are on the right track. We have made a significant breakthrough. This morning he met me at the gate with such enthusiasm it was breathtaking. Jazz too said god morning to Bruce as he left for work, and came up to the gate to say hello. When we got her she was so scared of men, however I think she sees Bruce as her guadian angel as he always has a carrot for her It's happened with Jazz as well. She was always very social, some days her bubbble was huge and then others it seemed to be gone. Then I noticed that she cannot stand pressure, it's even uncomfortable for her some days for me to be facing her. I know now that I have eyes on my head, shoulders and belly button and I need to be aware that even if my pressure from my head eyes is off her if my other eyes are still looking she is still uncomfortable. Sounds cooky but I think this is ver true. So there you go. We are travelling this journey at times painfully slow, sometimes quicker than I can handle. My comfort zone is being tested so are theirs. One thing I know is that this feels more natural to me than anything else. I said to Bruce only last night, this feels so effortless to learn and simple (sometimes strange) to put into practice but one thing is for sure I don't regret one day or dollar. I am hungry to be a better horseman, to be the bet I can be that's what motivates me. To see a horse asking questions, to see them looking at me with a different look, to see them accepting me slowly as their leader is all the motivation I need. I am preparing for the arrival of our third horse this weekend. All being well he will arrive on Sunday. I am going to let him settle in and then turn him out with 3 very big and dominant mares. Will be interesting as the alpha mare is a control freak and will have him understanding herd life very quickly. I am so looking forward to this valuable lesson.

No comments: