Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Valentines Day - all is excellent

Ok well last night was awesome! Star has major issues with zone 1, not to mention he's so clever I just think I am getting ahead of him with my savvy and then I get stuck! We played last night with Christine giving me some excellent tips and advice. I just had a bad night, nothing jelled in my head...I was unco! Ever had one of those nights/days!!! LOL well I did. Never mind it will get better as I think it's getting really hard cause we are on the verge of a major breakthrough! That's what Christine thinks and I tend to have to believe her cause I am staying positive. OK the float....well....he went in after 1.5 hours. It's not about the float either...it's what's happened to him associated with a float! He showed last night like an unfurling rose all the little things that he has issues with. Couldn't cope with friendly game around the float, couldn't cope with loading with the human on the right side and then got better and better. It took a long time for him to get over his tailgate threshold, with zone 1 being the only part to get into the float for about 45 minutes. Then all of a sudden we had a breakthrough and we got all 4 feet on tailgate, then we did friendly, asked him to yo yo back and he was stunned. He licked his lips and chewed for about 2 minutes...he looked at us with that kind eye after that...he didn't get tense either with friendly after that either...it was great. Eventually after about 20 minutes he was offering to go on....we had to ask him to wait..!! He was so impatient and so confident! It was wonderful to see the old Star come back not the scared one...who would have thought that a horse built like a sherman tank could be so very scared....but he was. In the end the send was from 2 metres from the ramp and he went on of his own volicion, no coaxing no nothing and he went on with confidence. I can only say that this method preserves the dignity of the horse, is conscious of their needs and keeps us safe! I have so much to do with the float, friendly game, squeeze game and I reckon keeping him out of it now! I learnt also how to do serpentine on the ground and also fallen leaf patterns, he is so clever that he now anticipates and I have to watch that he's not taking over!!! Also, spoke to a friend of mine who rides normally and she asked had I ridden him yet. This is a horse that has had major RBE issues and many other things going on. When I said no, she said what a shame....when I told her I was doing it all on the ground, half pass, turn on the haunches, shoulder in, turn on the forehand, backups etc she went quiet. I said to her, I want to get this right on the ground so when it comes to riding it will all fall into place.....I want to get to a place where I can ask for lead changes on the ground...which is not far off with the new exercises...and then when I am on him all will make sense to us both. I am building this horse into an athlete. I went to put on a canvas I had bought him in August 07 the other night as it was so cold at our place. When I went to do up the front it was too small accross the chest I then put on his favourire light parka type rug which he allowed!! When I got inside I looked at the photos I had of him when I got him.....the changes in the past few months are amazing.....He has muscled up, looks better conformed and is so wonderful looking. I don't need to ride yet and will take my time making sure that he and I are safe before I worry about that. All I can say is that I know I have a good horse when my instructor keeps saying she wants him For that I am flattered and it only makes me more determined to make this partnership work and keep it natural. Have a great day.

No comments: