Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My normal friend comes to visit

Played on Sunday with them both. Was great fun. Had a non-parelli friend who rides come over on Sunday so I decided to show her how good Star was now. She saw him when he was pre-parelli and she was amazed at two things, 1. How calm and attentive he was, he was in a LB sort of mood! 2. How he had built muscle without me riding him!!! It was funny cause she started asking how I taught him to yo-yo (cause now most of the time he yo-yo's on a wiggle of my finger), she asked how long I had been doing PNH and was amazed when I told her how long. It's only really taken me a short time to teach him so much. She did however see the "old star" when we played friendly around his hind quarters, he kicks like a cow with the slightest touch of the savvy string and we can only get just above the hock before we get a threshold and a RBE reaction. However, this is a HUGE improvement, I keep having to remind myself that once upon a time he wouldn't even let me get near him at all with the stick and string. We did sideways (half pass) but he's still a little sore so we only did a bit. I think I wrote before I am going to do hill therapy with him so that's what I am going to do now. He needs to be stronger and then we will be ok to move on. Later, after my friend had gone, I played with Scout. I wanted to try out my new bareback pad which I did for about 5 minutes and then we had a discussion about what direction we needed to go and then I got off and sorted it out on the ground. Here I saw the Scout who throws his head up on dismount although I had an inkling that he would do this so I got off in such a way that made it impossible for him to head butt me. I didn't read the signs before this as I played with him. He was fractious, didn't "feel" calm to me and was not happy about something....we did have lots of flying ants...who bit you when they landed on you. Miserable things! He took off at one stage, back over to Star and they both lamented on my lack of savvy! It was like they were talking about the arrow Scout had just pulled out....god knows what I did to provoke it? I have a bit of work to do here but nothing major. It's lovely though to see him changing, calling to me when he sees me walk out of the house. The look on his face when I play with Star first and vice versa. I am doodling with the little filly as well. I have no real experience with young horses but I am taking it slow, we are having lots of fun and she's really bonded to me which is why I am now her custodian of sorts. I tell you what she is a totally different horsenality. A clean slate and a wonderful future dressage partner! Look up Pura Raza Espnanola...she is this! Stunning!

No comments: