Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fences and horses - oh dear

Oh boy! This morning we had a slight set back. Star and Scout ever the playful boys were discussing the morning's news and then Star decided he wasn't winning in the porcupine game and playfully struck out at Scout. Problem was he got his foot over the lowest wire on the fence! Luckily I was standing in the family room, toast in hand watching the proceedings, when it all happened in front of me. I leapt out the door in my PJ's over the fence and carefully went to see how he was, Bruce ran to the shed to turn off the fence. He had managed to get his foot out, but as he got stuck he got a whack from the fence which startled him which made him pull back. I swear it would have been worse had we not been studying PNH!! As I jumped over the fence, I could see him pull and then stop, then the fence zapped him and he pulled away. It would have been ok had the fence not got him. The result is, hair and skin off, sore fetlock and slight superficial cuts and abrasions...LUCKY STAR it could have been so much worse. I walked up to him, he gave me two ears and lowered his head, he was holding up his foot for me to inspect. I had a quick look and then we headed up to the gate, Bruce was waiting with the halter and we then proceeded to the wash bay to get a bucket and some water. I wanted to see if I could get him to put his foot in a bucket of ice cold water. Now in the past this would have been out of the question cause he didn't trust me or my ideas. This time with some support and lots of friendly wither scratching he decided it was a good idea to put his foot in the bucket. ATTA BOY STAR!! He stood with me for 15 minutes and calmed down, me standing there in my PJ's with Bruce looking on worriedly.....all was OK and we all breathed a collective sigh of relief almost all at the same time! Jazz was worried, Scout was calling and we had to calm them down with friendly pats and rubs.....all is well now. Star has a hot fetlock, vet coming tomorrow...I will wait for him to fit me in cause he is one of the best horse vets I know. In the meantime I am going to be on swelling duty and Star will have to like my idea of foot in the bucket treatment. I guess he will have to be rested for a week or two so I will have to get up to speed with Scout! Ah the joy of horses hey! One thing I am sure of is that my relationship with Star is much stronger than it was 4 months ago. We both agreed that he was so different throughout this ordeal. I don't think there is any safe fence for horses, we have good fences with sight wire etc. but there will always be those times when they get too close. Hopefully Star will be more wary.......

No comments: