Tuesday, August 19, 2008

March 08 - First Learn Burn!

Well what a busy weekend. My neice turned one and so we trecked off for a 1 yo birthday party. It was fun but we were glad to be home! Played for a couple of hours this afteroon. Today I got my first learn burn. It was my fault. Playing with Scout out in the paddock, his trick is to take off and he managed to get the better of me this time. I didn't have my baby tree to help me. Anyhow he took off with my 22" line trailing after him and had a right brain moment. A flat gallop around the paddock saw him really work off some steam! I walked down to the corner where I figured he would end up, near the mares who were watching with interest as he herbed around. He is so fast! But so unfit! Anyway this happened twice, so I have 2 learn burns....not too bad as I managed to open my hand and let him go. There was no way I was going to stop him. Once he had caught me again we did some more work out in the paddock and then went into the arena, long range sideways, circling game, squeeze over the barrels and then put your nose on something. I also squeezed him back through two barrels just wide enough for him to fit. He was glued to me which was fun. We did some friendly as we both rested and then I asked him to go get my straw hat, it's past it's prime and so has been donated to the play cause. He did this with gusto and so now it's sporting a new brim look....like ripped off!! He really tried hard tonight, we both learnt something too. I know I am still shouting...I will get better...I think I am every day! Star was next and we did some nice squeezes past things on the way to the arena. We then did some nice circles, his gait is so soft and light compared to Scout! They are so different too, Scout is so chilled with the commands whereas Star is still so unconfident at times. He still needs so much friendly so that's going to be my aim this week, we will friendly in all sorts of places and spaces cause it seems only to work in the areana! Every where else it's still skeptical horse. Tonight we did long range sideways and I have to be so light with him cause if I don't he panics, but he did learn it! He licked and chewed and then went oh yeah I get it. Then we got glimpses as we walked accross the arena. His yo yo is awesome and now I am beginning to be so discreet with my commands to see how light i can go. It's good fun actually and I think he likes it too. I have never seen this horse so happy. Really he is actually offering things now and taking things in that I never thought he would be capable of! His whole demeanour has changed and it's not time at all till I am caught when I go into the paddock. I have bought the catching game DVD and so will watch that when I get it. had to send the first one back as it was all scratched when I got it...bummer. The trailer loading DVD is great though and I am watching that every chance i get. i have to be careful that i don't study too much when Bruce is home!!! LOL he gets bored quick!

No comments: